Dialogue Kevin Flynn: The grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture…
- Kevin Flynn: The grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships? Motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I’d never see. And then one day…
- Sam Flynn: You got in.
- Kevin Flynn: That’s right, man. I got in. And the world was more beautiful than I ever dreamed, but also more dangerous than I ever imagined. Now, I met a brave warrior-
- Sam Flynn: Tron!
- Kevin Flynn: [hums Tron theme] Tron!
- Sam Flynn: Who fights for the Users.
- Kevin Flynn: He sure does. Oh man, he showed me things that no one had ever imagined: disc battles fought in spectacular arenas and cycles that raced on ribbons of light. Radical. And together-
- Sam Flynn: You built the grid.
- Kevin Flynn: We built a new grid for programs and users. Now, I couldn’t be in there all the time, so I created a program in my own image that could think, like you and me. And I called him CLU.
- Sam Flynn: Codified Likeness Utility.
- Kevin Flynn: That’s right. And CLU, Tron, and I, we built the system where all information was free and open. Beautiful. And then, one day, something happened. Something extraordinary. A miracle.
- Sam Flynn: What was it?
- Kevin Flynn: That’ll have to wait til next time. I gotta get to work.
- Sam Flynn: I want to come with you, Dad.
- Kevin Flynn: Yeah, well, someday you will. I promise.
- Sam Flynn: To the Grid?
- Kevin FLynn: Goodnight, Sam. What do you say tomorrow we go to the arcade, and you can have a crack at the old man’s high score? First game’s on me. [flips Sam a quarter]
- Sam Flynn: Can we play doubles? On the same team?